With our new writing unit just a few weeks away, we immersedourselves in poetry by:
- Reading poems from anthologies throughout the day.
- Learning how to read new poems during shared reading.
- Illustrating copies of poems during readaloud.
- Reciting poems on our transitions through the school.
- Writing poems together.
- Learning how readers read poems in special ways.
Modified from Becoming Avid Readers,Teachers College Reading and Writing Project Units of Study, Heinemann
Early on in our exploration, Marcel, age five, asked: “What is a poem?”